04 October 2012

Contextual Mediocrity, Pt. IV


Emily could instantly tell the just-turned-twenty-one crowd apart from those who had been frequenting bars and other establishments that served alcohol for years by how loud they talked and laughed. The typical frat boys always made as much noise as possible as they shuffled outside to smoke and then return inside, always checking out the same girls in the booths (like Ariel) on their route to and from, in what she assumed was some sort of primal method of establishing dominance in a pack ruled by seniority.
“Do you think that guy over there is checking me out?” Ariel cocked her head behind her towards the bar, where the bartender was still stealing the occasional glance at their table.
“I don't know.”
“He's kinda cute.”
“I suppose.” Emily noticed Ariel still had her phone in one hand, and she glanced at it occasionally between bites of food.
“Mmm,” Ariel swallowed her food, “did you hear this one. Someone just posted this link on my wall. This news headline says 'Suicide now leading cause of death by injury' or something. Hmm.”
Emily looked up. “What?”
Ariel looked up. “What?”
“What did you just say? Read that again. What does it say?”
“Too long, didn't read,” she waved her hand as if shooing a fly.
“Whatever.” Emily rested her chin on her hand and turned her attention the other way. Ariel continued looking at stuff on Facebook, watching videos and laughing at people's pictures. Finally Emily realized they had found something to talk about. “What do you think accounts for that?”
“What?”
“Why do you think so many people commit suicide nowadays?” She leaned forward.
Ariel looked puzzled. “How should I know? Aren't we in a recession?”
“Well, sure,” Emily trailed off, frowning. “But...”
“Oh for Christ's sake, Emily,” Ariel put her phone down on the table and looked at her. “Don't do this. I'm trying to have a good time.”
“What are you talking about?”
“This. What you always do. Let's just talk about something else. You always want to give some lecture or start a debate.”
Emily gritted her teeth. “You haven't said more than three words to me since we've been here, and now you come at me like this? What the fuck?”
“Oh, don't patronize me. This is so typical of you. I'm not here to argue, and I'm not here to let you put me down just so you can feel superior.”
“What does that even mean?”
“Just because I didn't get a fancy degree doesn't make me less intelligent than you.”
Emily's eyes widened. “When did I even begin to imply that?” Her voice went up a register. “All I wanted was to have a conversation with you. You know? Actual talking? Instead of just your new favorite songs on the radio or what's o n MTV. Don't you remember how to do that?” She put her hands up. “Well, I apologize. I must have been asking for way too much.”
“You know what?” Ariel slammed her hand down on the table and grabbed her phone in one motion. “Fuck you. You used to be cool. Then you went to school and decided to get all philosophical and worldly. You haven't even left the United States. What have you done with your life? You work in advertising.”
Emily's face reddened slightly in spite of herself.
“Exactly.” Ariel leaned back and took a breath. “I get it. You think I'm so shallow and fake. But at least I don't try to be someone I'm not. You know what? You're the one who's fake.”
Emily slowly started to become very confused. “Ariel, wait,” she started.
“No. I'm going to sit here, drink my drink, and then leave. You can...” she waved her hand again, “do whatever.”
She looked around and felt lost. “No, please. I don't want to fight. Ariel? Let's just talk.”
Silence.
“Please. I just need to talk to someone.”  

No comments:

Post a Comment